Friday, October 13, 2006

Today's been a good day! We went to the park this morning and it was just beautiful. The weather couldn't have been better. I always bring bubbles to the park and I'm beginning to feel like the pied piper.lol All the little ones run up to me and start yelling Bubbles! and I blow and blow until I feel like I'm going to pass out.lol Isaac brought one of his little match box cars and had a really good time burying it and digging it back up. Genevieve spends a lot of the time collecting acorns to feed the multitudes of squirrels and Allison has been spending her park time drawing some of the paintings inside of the park. She really has a talent for art. She can recreate just about any picture now a days. It's fun to see what she decides to draw. Jon spends his time actually doing "park stuff" like swinging and running around on the play structures. Really he disappears while we're there and reappears when we're ready to go.lol My mom met us there and went to lunch with us. Afterwards she took Genevieve to spend time with her and we went home to get some work done. It was nice to spend some time with her.

The kids are almost finished with their school work for the week and I've been cleaning. The kids are really making progress in their studies! They are really enjoying the topics this year and Jon keeps telling me I should read the book that he's currently reading.lol I keep reminding him that I already have read them all but he's just so excited that he forgets each time.lol Allison really loves her reading this year also and she loves her writing! She says the topics are really interesting. Her writing has really improved this year. Here's her latest paper...

The Strength of Writing
by Allison G.

With his mouth the godless destroys his neighbor, but through knowledge the righteous escape.-Proverbs 11:9

The battles of Trenton and Princeton are considered by most historians to be the first major successes of George Washington's campaign. There is no doubt in my mind that the powerful words written by Thomas Paine in his essay "The Crisis" are the reason they won. The words that Thomas Paine wrote were so incredibly strong they did what no man or weapon could do, they inspired an entire confidence lacking, down hearted army! If Washington had not read that essay, I know they would have lost.

The power of writing is amazing; a book can take you to completely different worlds. As we have seen, the pen can be used for good, but it can also be used for great evil. Written works can completely change a person, as it did for a man named Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov. A book wrought destruction on his soul.

Vladimir was at a down point in his life, nothing seemed to be going for him so a friend brought him a copy of the book "Das Kapital" written by Karl Marx. He had seen the book a couple years prior to this but he did not think much of politics then. That literary work spoke to his soul and totally transformed him into a tyrant, who we now know as Nikoli Lenin. That book changed him forever.

As it says in the Bible, "With his mouth the godless destroys his neighbor." That is the strength of writing.

The End.


So I'm planning on finishing up some last minute cleaning and I'm going to finally get to the granola. It's been a pretty good week despite the doctor visit but I'm glad that Eric will be home tomorrow. LOL

Blessings,

Lisa

7 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Yay - glad that Eric will be home tomorrow. The park sounds wonderful. I'm so glad to be able to enjoy the park again.

Great job, Allison.

Lisa in Jax said...

This area has a really good park and since it's the only one, it's a good place to meet people. I've been noticing a few regulars on Fridays so may actually be able to make some friends.lol

Allison's writing has really improved this year. I'm hoping to start the essay writing for the SAT next year. She's really coming along.

lisa

Jodi said...

Allison's writing is great! Sounds like she's quite the artist too! So you've become the park bubble Mom. You know every park must have one, it's an important job VBG. WE went to a park awhile back and a Mom was blowing bubbles for her child, she had a crowd of kids form too, including my well past the toddler stage children. Gotta love bubbles!!!

Jodi

Lisa in Jax said...

LOL I'm not sure I want to be called "bubble mom" but it does create quite the following.lol

Allison is really coming along! She was my reluctant student for so long, it's just amazing to see her doing so well. I can remember thinking that she would always be that shy little girl who would hide behind me whenever people would say hi to her and how she wouldn't write because she was afraid of getting "it" wrong. She's taken great strides and I can't wait to see her become an adult!

Lisa

Cynthia said...

We won't be having any park days for quite awhile. It's SNOWING here again tonight and this time the ground is COMPLETELY white already!
Cynthia

Kristine said...

This is great, thanks for sharing. I hadn't seen it before. :)

Lisa in Jax said...

Thanks, Kristine!