Monday, September 25, 2006

The Art of Sauce, Chocolate that is...

:Edited to say that Alton Browns recipe has turned into a brick and it's no longer tasting very good.LOL In fact, my dh just threw it out. Now the Emeril sauce is the winner and everyone likes it. Don't waste good chocolate on AB's recipe.


O.k. I've made both sauces. If you make Alton Brown's cook it no more than 3 minutes. It gets grainy with time. I sampled it throughout the cooking process and it is good but grainy if you cook it too long. It is what I think Fudge sauces should taste like, a cross between icing and candy. It's thick and rich! Very good! Just be careful not to cook it too long.

Emeril's sauce, which was tested by my tasting panel, was judged good, but more like pudding. Genevieve likes this one best as she keeps bringing her spoon back for more.LOL Both older kids liked it and said it was more like pudding.

So there. My fudge sauce making is done and I would say that we have 2 good sauces to choose from on Ice Cream day.

Here are the recipes:

Chocolate Syrup

3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar
(Bring to gentle boil over med.high heat.)
Wisk in:3/4 cup dutch cocoa
pinch of salt
1 tbsp honey
Continue to cook allowing the syrup to reduce and thicken, 3-5 minutes.
Add 2 tsp vanilla
Allow to cool and strain.
Enjoy!

Emerils Chocolate Sauce:
3/4 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 pound semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Melt together and enjoy!

Blessings,

Lisa

2 comments:

Jodi said...

ok this is calling me name out. I think I might be making chocolate sauce tomorrow...or at least after next shopping day for a couple more ingredients!

Lisa in Jax said...

Just make sure you don't cook the non-milk sauce too long or you end up with a brick.LOL If I try this again, I will not cook the sauce beyond melting the sugar and chocolate. At the beginning, it was exactly right but I cooked it way too long. I was waiting for some magical moment when the sauce would say I'm done!LOL Didn't happen...