Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Chaos! That was the order of the day today, although I didn't get the memo ahead of time.lol Boy, do I feel worn out. The littles were just so busy that I could hardly keep up. Isaac is red and green right now. Yes, I was watching him, he just wouldn't let go of those markers.

After a breakfast of fresh, hot pancakes, I started the day by finally opening up my new printer that Eric bought me. I printed out the older kids Thanksgiving lapbook and got them started. Then, I printed out Jen's veggie and fruit sorting file folder game. Isaac tasted each piece and deemed them; mmmm, good!LOL Genevieve was anxious to get some school done but every time I got something out for her, Isaac would have a temper tantrum. Finally, I gave him the markers so that we could get to work. He decided that his paper wasn't just right so he colored the table, himself, and his clothing, all while I tried to wrestle the markers away from him. Well, I still wasn't savvy enough to realize that this was the "theme" for today, so I took the markers and gave him his Do-A-Dot paints. He proceeded to paint my table and everything within "painting" distance.lol Oh well, I did do some work with Evie throughout this mess but I feel like I just ran a marathon. We learned about the letter C today and reviewed the letters that we've already done. She's really learning alot, in spite of Isaac, and I think that everything I've pulled together is working well for her.

OH, I finally received my copy of Picture Book Activities from Amazon's Marketplace. It took 2 days to get it used while it has taken me close to 3 months to quit waiting for it new from Amazon. It looks really good and I'm going to incorporate it into our week this week. I happen to have most of the books that it covers and am just going to pick and choose what we do in it. It is not what I would consider a full curriculum for preschoolers but it has some really fun activities in it. Here's a small sample of what it has... First you read the book listed, Corduroy, then you discuss the book, do an arts and crafts activity (button necklaces), then it has a cooking and baking exercise (button cookies), then a section called fun and games (a game called button, button), then Let's pretend (toy store), Music and movement (Teddy bear, teddy bear), play and learn (button play) and then a list of enrichment activities. Pretty cool and I think that it'll go hand in hand with her letter learning activities. She's really enjoying all the books we've been reading together and I know she'll love the activities.

The older kids have been working on their very first lap book about Thanksgiving. I got it free from www.liveandlearnpress.com . They are really enjoying it and hopefully will have it done by Thanksgiving. I'll post some pictures once they have more done.

Right now, the older kids are at PE and the youngers are watching Dora the Explorer to give me a break from the chaos of this morning.lol I'm thinking I just don't have the stamina that I used to have.

Well, that's about it for today. I'm hoping for a less urgent and rushed pace for the rest of our day. I've got some house keeping things that need to be finished and the older kids have some more work to accomplish. I think the littles will spend some time outside and then I'll get out the playdough or paint. (yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.lol)

Blessings,

Lisa

9 comments:

Jodi said...

Sounds like you had a very colorful baby by days end...or maybe a very colorful everything!

We started the Thanksgiving lapbook today too. It will be fun to see how everyone's comes out.

Lisa in Jax said...

LOL Yep, and the poor boy fell asleep on our nightly walk and will have to remain colorful until morning. I took a magic eraser to my kitchen table and I think I'll be able to get the marker up.lol

I'm just hoping my kids finish this project. We've never done one and this one seems quite detailed. I'm afraid they'll get overwhelmed. We'll see.lol

Emily said...

I miss the art projects we use to do when we homeschooled. Even though some times they were chaotic they are embedded in some of our best memories!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I WANT A COLOR PRINTER!!! OK now that I have that off my chest. LOL

So you ordered the book via the used market...I'm STILL waiting for this book from Amazon....and it's been at least 3 months...I'm wondering if I really want it. LOL

Lisa in Jax said...

Emily,

That was the hardest part when Jon went to school for a week this year.lol We MISSED having him around and we found out that he missed being around.lol I was glad that it didn't work out. I'm sure it's hardest on you, being that your kids are happy.

De'Etta,

We got this printer for $50 at Staples. It was cheap, cheap, cheap and it works great.

I do like the Picture Book Activities, reminds me of FIAR but I'm glad I didn't pay full price. If you are already doing a lot of reading then I'm not sure that this is anything too exciting. I like the themes and how everything in each lesson is woven together but Evie wants to LEARN and I'm sure that this won't be considered learning in her book.lol That means if I do this, I still have to do everything else too. She loves cutting, pasting, and learning her alphabet and this is much more basic. Like made sparkle paint and just let them paint, well Isaac loves that but Evie's like, what do I DO with it?LOL She'll love the baking part though. She loves to help in the kitchen.

Kristine said...

I can't find the lapbook on the liveandlearn site, even with a search. Do you think it's still there? I've never lapbooked before, but it sounds fun, particularly if your older kids are doing it (meaning it might be fun for my 8 and 12 yo). I suppose it's been all over SHS, but I skip lapbooking posts . . .

Lisa in Jax said...

Kristine,

Ok, first of all I had the wrong web-site addy. Here is the right one, http://liveandlearnpress.com/index.php

Then you need to join their yahoo web-group. They have a special log in passcode that you can get from the group that gives you stuff in your My Books! list on the main web-site. It will have two free lapbooks in it, Thanksgiving and The 4th of July. HTH!

Lisa

Cynthia said...

Lisa,
Thanks for the tip on joining because I couldn't find the Thanksgiving book either (LOL)! Have you started it yet? Did you say you're having your older kids do it? I'm wondering about having Em do it or if she's too old? Thoughts?
Cynthia

Lisa in Jax said...

QB,

I don't know what ages the lapbook is for, but I can tell you that it is very detailed and I felt comfortable assigning it to Allison. The kids started it yesterday and they are challenged finding all the info. I'm also going to make sure that I add more fun to their school day. I guess I figured that they had their fun but after the butter making incident, I realized that they didn't remember any of it.lol Of course, I expect much better quality out of my olders and more detail but I think this lapbook is a use of their time.