Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Art of Leaving the House with a Newborn


Firstly, I recommend not checking the diaper bag for needed items. Assume that everything you need is in the bag. You know what assuming does right? Next, make sure that you leave at just the "right time." Miss cues from your newborn, in your rush to leave the home, that mean that she may be "working on something." Make sure that you bring another small child that is not old enough to walk around on his own and then assign your oldest to watch over him. Now, drive to a nice store so that your oldest can pick out some shorts since she's been lamenting the fact that she outgrew all her old ones. Now you are ready to enjoy your trip!lololol

Here is what happened when I followed the above method...

We were there about 5 minutes before the baby began fussing. I set Allison off to find just the right shorts for the summer and I went off with the baby to get some shorts outfits for Evie and a few outfits for Sophia. I grabbed the first outfits I saw as by now Sophia was not happy. I couldn't understand "why not" since I had fed and changed her before we left. I picked her up and jiggled her while I looked for Allison and as soon as I found her, Sophia had a SUPER MEGA BLOWOUT!!! Up the back, out the sides and all over.lolol I just stick a cloth diaper under her and work my way to the checkout. I'm not worried as of yet, since I know that I have all the supplies to fix this situation in my handy dandy diaper bag, right? I check out and had the most amazingly fast checkout girl I've ever had, must have been the screaming baby with the twenty-seven cloth diapers layered on her.lol I make it to the car to change her and find that I have no wipes just 28 cloth diapers and one of Isaac's giant pull-ups. lolol Basically, at this point I add an extra cloth diaper to her already growing layers and pile everyone back into the car and quickly make it back home while my little stinky princess screamed the whole way. Yes, Allison found 3 pairs of shorts and 4 shirts in the less than 10 minutes we were there. You have to remember she's the oldest and has learned to shop fast over the years.LOL

I did find out that Sophia is 13 1/2 pounds from this trip though! The Publix is right beside the store we went to and so I weighed her. I can't believe she's so big! No wonder my wrists hurt.lol

Blessings,

Lisa

6 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

LOL - this scenario is familiar....

Cynthia said...

LOL... I remember those days... they are why I do NOT carry a diaper bag. You might recall that I say our YUKON is our 2nd home. I keep all the necessities in there like I would in the house.. meaning an entire SACK of diapers, a box of wet ones, boxes of snacks, a cooler, you name it..... I've had the above happen one to many times over the years so I stock my trunk like I do my closet when I have a little one...because I could never remember to grab the diaper bag from the house let alone keep it stocked (LOL)!

And good for Allison finding what she needed quickly!

Lisa in Jax said...

lol Yep it was a little different than I imagined when I decided to take them to the store. Thankfully, Allison is a very understanding big sister and still got what she needed.

Cindy,

I used to do this also. I just haven't been going out as much this past year so I'm just not as prepared. I'm hoping to be much more active this next year.

Kristine said...

I'm so pathetic. Holly was almost 4 when Trevor was born. Even with just two kids, that first year, I only made it out of the house twice before noon.

I always figured God had BIG reasons for not making our family larger. Now I realize He probably thinks I should be able to pull it together before lunch, lol.

Lisa in Jax said...

lol, I'm lucky if I leave the house the day after I decide it's necessary. By lunch is hopefully in my near future.lolol

Jodi said...

I sort of remember those days, of course my babies were so close in age and late potty trainers that I usually was toting the mega diaper bag from outer space. Had to be pretty organised too or we never got anywhere! Anyway it has been about 4 years since the last was out of diapers and I am very out of the habit. I was babysitting a friends kids recently, including one toddler who SHE was babysitting, so I had the extra kid that day. I didn't even think about checking her diaper until one of the big kids said Mrs. M I think the baby needs her diaper changed. It seriously never crossed my mind that anyone in the house that day was still in diapers! Then later in the day she took her diaper off to try the potty and somehow I didn't notice, later a big mess in the pants. I would need a refresher course if some miracle happened and we had another baby. LOL