Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Art of Uncheese...

At first I denied it. Then I ignored it. Finally I accepted it. Now I'm embracing it.LOL

Hi, my name is Lisa and I'm allergic to dairy.lol I finally started trying to replace the dairy in my diet with acceptable pretend cheeses. The only problem is, the prepackaged stuff still has things I'm not supposed to eat and it doesn't taste very good. Well, I researched and found a few books that people on Amazon.com said were good and I bought this one...

Photobucket

My very first attempt was fake parmesian cheese. After grinding it up, it smelled so bad that I stuck it in the back of the fridge vowing never to eat it. After about a week, I got desperate and pulled it out to eat with my garlic butter pasta.LOL (Yes, I know I'm weak.) It turned out to be so good that EVERYONE liked it! Whatever made the smell dissipated and it no longer smelled bad.lol All in all, a success.

Fortified with a good recipe under my belt, I tried to make Unmozzarella. It's the ONE cheese that I miss the most. I let it set for a day or two and then made everyone pizzas, mine with the faux cheese. It didn't look very good and it tasted worse. It was REALLY bad.LOL Took me a while before I could muster up the courage to try another recipe.

Today, I dusted off the book once again and made an unCheese Wiz type recipe. Here's what it looks like...
Photobucket


I made Jon try it first.lol I'm such a chicken! He said it was good but his face said something else.lol I decided to try it anyway and it's good! This has a sharp taste, but not the texture of cheese. It reminds me of that cheese that comes in a spray can. Tangy, a little garlicy, and a bit like hummus but good. Remember all, I'm desperate.LOL We all tried it on crackers and enjoyed it. I think it's a keeper and whenever I get more than ONE recipe from a cookbook, I call it good.lol I'll be trying more recipes in the weeks to come, but just having a cheap, good parmesian makes me happy.

Blessings,

7 comments:

Romany said...

Cheese from a spray can????

Is it just cows' milk cheeses or all cheeses you must avoid?

Cynthia said...

UGH.... so sorry you have to go to such great lengths to find things you can eat.

Jodi said...

I love nutritional yeast "cheese" and use it on pizzas and other uses but then again I have not been used to dairy cheese.

I hope some of the recipes will be good tasting.

Amy said...

So, what exactly is "in" this? I'm pretty sure that I'm lactose intolerant, but I'm in denial! LOL!! I don't want to be tested because I REFUSE to give up ice cream!!! (How sad is THAT?!?!) ;-D

Kristine said...

Maybe it's time to give up the fake stuff and eat similar style foods that are supposed to taste good to begin with? (Like hummus, pesto, tapenade . . .)

Lisa in Jax said...

LOL, yes Dorothy. Spray can cheese.LOL I can't have anything with any kind of milk. It makes me quite ill.

Cindy,

Well, I'm getting used to it.lol I'm just trying to expand my horizons.lol

Jodi,

Can you tell me how you use the Nutritional yeast for pizza? I'd love to know!

Amy,

The parmesian has almonds, nutritional yeast, miso, and salt. It really does taste good!

Kristine,

This is what I usually do, it's just sometimes you want a pizza.LOL

Jenny said...

I can't have cheese either. Good luck on the no-cheese adventure. It really isn't so bad after awhile.