Sunday, May 06, 2007

Menu

My Menu for this week...

Breakfast

Eggs and bacon
Pancakes
Waffles
Smoothie and granola bars
Bagels and creamcheese


Lunch

Lunchmeat x 2
Chicken Quesadillas, nachos and salsa
Grilled chicken salad and bread sticks
Mac and cheese

Dinner

Fried Chicken, mashed taters, salad
London broil, rice, salad
Spaghetti, garlic bread and salad
Porkloin, rice, salad
Hamburgers, fries, beans, and salad
Shrimp pasta, salad
Leftovers


I'm trying something new this week. I spent yesterday looking through all my menus and figuring out how much of each kind of meat we ate for each month. Then I averaged it out and am going to buy all my meats for a month at a time, focusing on what's on sale. Then I'm planning out each weeks menu based on what I'll have in the freezer. I'm hoping it'll save me money in the long run. Last week, whole chickens were on sale .79 a pound and I bought 6. Well, I found out that I only use whole chickens, on average, 2x a month so now I have enough for 3 months. This week, bags of frozen boneless chicken is on sale at Foodlion 4 bags for $20.00 (that's 10# of chicken). I found that we usually use 4 bags in a month, so I'll buy those this week.

We officially start our school back full time tomorrow. We've got all our curriculum now and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll be getting the kids schedules ready today and the kids are setting up two desks in Jon's room for their quiet work. I'm also going to be doing some freezer cooking today after the grocery store in hopes that I'll have some ready made meals for breakfast and dinner while the kids are working. Sophia has been starting on a loose schedule for the past week and is getting somewhat predictable. It's not going to be easy but I should live through the week.LOL

Jon is going to start a garden this week. I think it's a perfect accompaniment to his culinary arts program. He's going to do all the work, although Evie wants a small plot for herself.lol I'm hoping that will also reduce our grocery bill. I'd like a salad garden and maybe a few things to freeze, like peas, beans, and maybe some zucchini or summer squash.

Blessings,

Lisa

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Lisa,
Congrats on figuring out your menu out a few months to be able to purchase things on sale. I used to do that and should try to get organized enough to do that again someday (LOL)! I usually just buy what's on sale and then figure out a menu from what I have (LOL) so it's a little backwards.

WOW. I can't even believe you're gearing up to START school.... I must have missed that you're starting so soon although I do remember that it's HOT there and would be nice to have school for a few months in the hot part of the year.

Lisa in Jax said...

Thanks! The shopping went well and I did end up saving money. My bill should be cheaper each week since I've got all the meat for the month.

Yes, we do a modified schedule here. We're entering the hot season and soon no one will want to leave the house except for in the morning and early evening. We've also been off because of the new baby but I've found that March and April are good months to take off because the weather is nice.