Friday, September 25, 2009

Another sewing project...

I saw this really neat dress on the Gap website the other day and it inspired me. The top was made of a ribbed knit tank top and the dress was made of vertical striped fabric, in layers, like the layered skirts I make. Well, it made me think. If you can use tank tops, you could probably make dresses out of old t-shirts, right?LOL So, here is my first attempt at a t-shirt dress...

Photobucket

I took this little green t-shirt that Evie out-grew and made it into a brand new dress for Sophia. I roll-hemmed the top and bottom of the blue fabric, used my sewing machine to gather the fabric at the top and then sewed the fabric to the bottom of the t-shirt. This was an extremely easy project and took no more than 30 minutes from start to finish. Not only that, but it was mostly free. I paid $1.00 for a yard of the blue fabric and only used 7 inches of it for this dress. The t-shirt was a hand me down, so I count that as free. I can see that using a long sleeved shirt would make a nice winter dress. That will probably be what I work on next.

Blessings,


5 comments:

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Super cute. It looks like a dress you would buy at the store!

Amy said...

Awesome idea! I've done something similar to this for my daughter using some jeans. My daughter's jeans always seem to be too long. So I cut off the bottom of a favorite dress she had outgrown, cut it into two strips, and sewed them to the bottom of each leg of the jeans (after I had cut them to size of course). They turned out just like those cute little boutique jeans with the ruffled bottoms!! Too cute! I'm going to have to try this dress! I love your clothing recycling ideas!

Stephanie said...

Lisa, that is adorable! I love this idea. I think this would make a great dress for a little one in our family. And, I think I'm going to start looking for ideas for my 12 yo. We were just talking about a "Make Do and Mend" attitude. Love it!

Cynthia said...

Very cute! I used to buy dresses like that for the girls years ago.

Kristine said...

Darling dress, you are so talented! I'm baffled as to where you carve time out of your day to do something like this!